This three-day workshop will explore the craft of cheesemaking, ripening, and grading cheese for sale, viewing the process from the point of view of the affineur. This combination of classroom instruction and discussion will include a trip to a local aging space for a tour of the facilities and discussion of affinage in practice. Topics include:
- Selection and Use of Ripening Cultures
- Bio-reactions between Microbes, Enzymes, and Cheese Components
- Affinage Techniques including Bloomy rind, Washed rind, Blue, Alpine, Grana, and Tomme Cheeses
- Cheese Grading and Quality Control, and
- Facility Design, Construction. and Maintenance of Cellars, Caves, and Brining/Drying Rooms
Participants are encouraged to bring cheeses for tasting and evaluation.
This session will be held in Westminster, VT. For availability, contact Rachel at Tel. 802.387.4041 or firstname.lastname@example.org Registration information and policies can be found here.